RE4 2005.

 I finally played RE4 (2005)

I decided that before I would even touch the REmake, I would have to play the original... Now several months after RE4 Remake's release, I have finally played and completed the original version of the game. (Well the 2014 PC release but you get what I mean.)

Its a strange little game. I know there are people who absolutely adore the gameplay, and I kind of get it... It's satisfying in a lot of ways, learning how to control Leon like a master, its almost a form of art and it is definitely a fun challenge. Still though, I am DEFINITELY excited to play the remake with its more modern controls and whatnot.

The story is so deliciously camp. You're motherfucking Leon Scott Kennedy hired by the POTUS to rescue his daughter from a cult in Spain, you come across an old super spy friend, a wisecracking local, and traverse through a misty village, a wack-ass castle, and a damn supervillain's island, all while Leon cracks one-liners and says dumb shit.

The game is scary for me, then again, I am very easily scared and I won't lie, I had moments before I found out what quickturn is, where I screamed like a baby when trying to turn around to face an enemy. (Yes, I know what this sounds like.) The scariest part of the game for me has to be the Verdugo boss fight because I am so bad at chase scenes in horror games or in games in general as I tend to panic very much in these kinds of scenes.

The graphics are kind of amazing for the time. (I know that I'm playing a remaster but still.) When I think of mid 2000's games, I certainly think they would look as good as RE4 does. The only game I can think of is Half Life 2, but that's even more impressive, because its a 2004 game. But yeah, I think that the graphics actually sort of in a weird way... Hold up quite well.

My final thoughts are that I enjoyed the game. I found that I had very little personal gripes or complaints... If any at all, which is both surprising and unsurprising. Surprising because: I'm easily pleased by games haha. Unsurprising because: It has the legacy of being one the best games ever for a reason.

That is all, now I will get to playing the REmake. - Z

Comments

Popular Transcriptions

Forever and Always.

THE MIDNIGHT BALL - A LONG POEM

Prinns Chærmengt - Poems by Elwynn Ward